An ethos of world-class standards
At The JCB Academy we provide a world-class educational experience, which has been specifically designed to ensure young people achieve top grades and develop the key lifeskills essential for success in the world of work and in society.
- Positive attitudes
Attitude is at the core of an individual’s success and achievement in life. The Academy will set out to develop positive attitudes in young people through developing a problem solving approach to learning.
- Emotional intelligence
“The rules for work are changing.
We’re being judged by a new yardstick:
not just by how smart we are,
or by our training and expertise,
but also by how well we handle ourselves and each other”
- Dan Goleman’s extensive research has shown that:
- 80% of our success is determined by our impact on those we have dealings with; and only
- 20% of our success is influenced by our knowledge or professional skills.
- Intellectual horsepower
- Work today consists of considerable ambiguity, shifting paradigms, technological demands, conflicting values and atmospheric noise!
- We need to develop young people who can intellectually cope and retain the perspective and the demands of the big picture at all times
- Appropriate competencies
Young people need the necessary theoretical knowledge and understanding to decode the world around them. However, without the appropriate competencies they will not be able to transfer this knowledge into actions or artefacts that will enable challenging problems to be resolved. Therefore the Academy will look to develop these skills in young people to enable them to be proactive problem solvers.
We intend to develop:
- A ‘can-do-will-do’ attitude
Develop high levels of emotional intelligence, competencies and attitudes in a demanding but supportive environment.
- Pursuit of technical and academic excellence
Develop an enthausiasm and drive for technical and academic excellence in engineering, manufacturing and international business.
- Achieving through actions
Develop innovative curriculum responses which provide direct access to real and virtual workplace learning.
- Passion for quality
Establish a culture which recognises and strives for excellence at every level of an organisation.
- Creative and enterprising behaviour
Develop innovative staffing models and learning environments which flex to enable creative responses to learning.
- Team and leadership capacity
Sharpen learners’ appetite for assuming responsibility within teams and as leaders.
Within a culture which:
- Supports and develops all within the organisation – truly becoming a ‘learning organisation’.
- Works in partnership with a wide range of organisations to enhance the learning experience of all.
- Enshrines the core values in all the work of the Academy.
Taking responsibility and developing leadership
It is recognised that young people who take responsibility for their own learning and environment grow into more successful adults. Therefore, The JCB Academy works hard to encourage this within the learner body. Learners are encouraged to take an active part in the Student Council, including controlling the delegated budget. Learners can also take on a range of leadership roles ranging from leading within the engineering challenge activities, becoming prefects, mentoring other learners or applying to take on the responsibility of becoming Head Boy or Head Girl.