You will need:
- One cardboard pizza box
- Aluminium foil
- Clear kitchen cling film
- One wooden Kebab Stick
- Black plastic bin bag
- Sticky tape
- A box cutter or scissor can be used
- Thermometer (if available)
- Chocolate, biscuits and marshmallows
Note: Parents should do the cutting in advance for safety reasons.
- Cut a square along three sides of the top of a large pizza box, leaving a one-inch border. Leave the backside of the square intact to make a flap.
- Fold the cardboard up along the uncut line of the square to form a flap.
- Wrap the bottom side of the flap in aluminium foil, shiny side out. Keep it as wrinkle free as you can.
- Place a piece of pre-cut foil (shiny side up) on the inside bottom of the pizza box.
- Place one sheet of pre-cut black construction paper on top of the foil.
- Tape clear plastic (or sheet protectors) to the underside of the lid to seal the opening created by the flap. Make it as airtight as possible.
Recipe for s’mores
- For each s’more, place two graham cracker halves on the black construction paper inside the box. Top one with a marshmallow, the other with a square of chocolate.
- Place your oven outdoors in direct sunlight. Use a stick to prop the flap up at an angle that will reflect the most sunlight into the box.
- Within an hour (sooner if it’s a really hot day), the chocolate squares and marshmallows should melt enough to assemble into s’mores.
- Find out about solar power?
- What are the uses of solar energy?
- Why is it better that other sources of energy?
- How much of UK’s energy comes from solar power?
- Evaluate the pros and cons of using solar power. Should we use more?